Monday, August 29, 2011

He's here! (6 weeks ago)

It's amazing how quickly six weeks can fly by!

Our little Jacob arrived on July 17th at 7:33 am. He weighed in at 6 lbs 11 oz and was 20 in long. After a less than optimistic doctor visit on Friday the 15th, we were pretty much counting on inducing 1 week post due date, and possibly a c-section. Saturday, Jason got home from work, and we were getting ready to head out to dinner with his family for his mom's birthday. As I stood up to go use the bathroom, as I did every half hour or so, I suddenly felt wet downstairs. So, I continue into the bathroom curiously and then call to Jason.

"I think my water just broke. It's like I'm peeing, but I can't stop it."

So he calls his mom to tell them to head out without us and we'll either have a baby or catch up with them later. Then he calls the hospital.

"This is Jason, my wife is Lacey. Um, um, um, you don't care. Well Um, I'm a bit excited, sorry. I think my wife's water just broke."

They calmly tell him to just head to the hospital and they can check on the situation there. The drive to the hospital was a lot calmer than I ever expected it to be. We got there, and checked in as I stood at the desk continuously wetting my self. Talk about uncomfortable.

I finally get settled into a room while Jason finishes the paperwork, and there they confirm that yes indeed, my water had broken. (Not that I needed any confirmation at that point.) From then until about 1 am things were pretty uneventful. I was having contractions every 3 minutes, but not feeling them at all. Around 1 am they came in and started the pitocin. That certainly kicked things up a notch in the pain department. Ouch! I toughed it out as I had planned until I think about 6 or so. The nurses checked and guessed me to be dilated to about a 3, then suggested that we do the epidural then. Right after that, the doctor came and checked, said I was really just a 2, and that Jacob hadn't dropped. Then, looking at the monitor, we noticed his heart rate had started dropping with every contraction. This is when we decided to just go ahead with a c-section. So, the epidural went in. It was not at all as terrible as the horror stories you hear. I went numb. They wheeled me to the OR, I all but passed out (I'm highly sensitive to drugs), and at 7:33 our sweet little baby boy was finally out.

After all that, it took me some time to really wake up. I could hear a lot of what was going on, but couldn't open my eyes or respond. I slowly came out of my stupor, and so began the first day of the rest of our new lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment