Tuesday, September 25, 2012

CMT Awareness

September is CMT Awareness Month I have recently learned!
CMT is the disease that made Jason's feet the way they are. It also can affect the hands and even lungs. After spending some time researching the condition after finding out it was the source of years of problems for him, I've learned a lot. CMT is known as "The most common disease noone knows about." It is just as common as MS believe it or not. 1 in 2,500 people have the genetic disorder.
Also in my researching, I have discovered that we have been ever so lucky. There are so many people with the disease that are far worse than I had even thought possible. Many are in wheelchairs or have had braces on their legs since early childhood. Some even have it where it affects both their hands and their feet. Can you imagine?
Anyhow, being that it is such an unknown thing, I thought I'd post this as my way of getting the word out there.
I also have fears involving this, and I've probably just freaked myself out by seeing all of the pictures of the little children with the disease already in wheelchairs, or braces and unable to live out a typical childhood, but CMT is a genetic disorder, which means it can be passed down. Because Jason has it, there is a 50% chance that our children could have it. And many times the severity differs from that of the parents. Now I've reached a dilema, to have Jake tested or not. Dr Nickisch who did Jason's surgery and was the first to recognize his CMT suggested testing. If he does have it, there's no real treatment aside from braces and things once he does start to show physical signs, and the possibilty of surgery similar to what we had done on Jason's foot later on. But, there's no stopping it, and no cure, so like I said not a lot can be done (besides worrying which I'm great at) until it starts to show, so I almost wonder what's the point.
Oh the joys of parenthood.

1 comment:

  1. Oh man that's crazy. I know what it's like to worry about your kids getting it. Cody's spine disease can be passed to our kids, especially boys. Testing won't really do anything because if they have it they have it. So it's hard to know what to do... I'm sorry you have to deal with this. We sure did pick 'em well didn't we :) Good news is the surgery helped Jason. So there's always hope and it could always be worse. Love ya

    ReplyDelete