Friday, March 14, 2014

Who knew?

For about the last month I haven't been myself. I'd gone from a patient, optimistic, happy person to, well, just plain mean. I would literally wake up angry. From the very moment Jake or Cooper woke me up I was mad. Mad at them for waking me up, mad at the garbage truck for waking them up, mad at Jason for getting to go to work and any number of other things. Needless to say I was not at all a pleasant person to be around I'm sure. Luckily even with it all I could still stop long enough to just walk away and not overreact to my kiddos. On top of it all I was endlessly tired. Aside from when I have been pregnant, I have never in my life been a napper. I don't nap. But I was napping, any chance I could get. The boys take a nap about the same time as each other, so the minute they went to sleep so did I.
After nearly a month of this, and with it only getting worse I did what any other crazy person would do, I googled it. Then I called up my best friend of 17 years and asked for her input because she knows me better than I know myself sometimes. We both agreed that a visit to my Dr. was in order.
On Tuesday I went to my OB.
"So what's going on?" he asked.
My honest reply was simple. "I'm a raging psycho."
With a little laugh and questioning whether I even had it in me to be a raging psycho, he confirmed the diagnosis I got from Dr. Google.
Postpartum Rage/Anger which is a form of Postpartum depression. Who knew?
He gave me a prescription just for a couple months to level things out, and ordered some blood tests to make sure there was nothing else going on. He then told me to tell Jason to bare with me for just a couple more days until the medicine took effect.
A couple days later I can already feel a very positive difference. I'm not snapping at every tiny little thing and Jake is spending a lot less time watching TV or in his room while I was being a bad mommy.
I did receive a call from the Dr. office to tell me one of my thyroid numbers is just a bit high which could be what's making me tired all the time. That's no big deal though. It's a common thing with the females in my family.
I'm sure everyone in our house is looking forward to the bad mommy and bad wife to leave and for the real me to return, I know I am certainly at the top of that list.

2 comments:

  1. Been there; I so know what being a raging sycho feels like. Bryan knows what its like to deal with an "Angry Wife" too; so if Jason needs moral support have him call WA. :) Glad to hear things are getting back on track. If you need a listening ear too, let me know...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yay for modern medicine. Can you have 2 1/2 years postpartum because I'm feeling the same way :) Glad you're doing better. It was fun seeing you guys last night!

    ReplyDelete