I LOVE, no adore, my new ward. I've already recieved my first calling there even.(Activity Days Leader for the 8-9 year olds) I can honestly say that I have never felt so welcomed into a ward in my life. In the first couple of weeks that we were officially moved into the house, we had a visit from the Elder's Quorum president and ward clerk, the bishop and one of his counselors, several neighbors, and the relief society presidency. I can proudly say that I have loved all of them and their kindness. And then, yesterday, when we finally attended church for the second time, this being the first time we stayed for the whole block, the warmth of this sweet ward hit again. I met the women I will be serving with, all whom are lovely. I was stopped and welcomed by the sweet Sister Beckett who lives just across the street and had been over many times. The bishop practically met us at the door with open arms, literally. Another couple new to the ward sat in front of us during Sacrament meeting and next to us in Sunday School.
The best moment of the day came during relief society. It is in the same room as Sunday School, and rather than just staying comfortable in her seat, Sister Beckett moved to come sit with me, and the other new gal, Malory, slid down as well. Shortly after that, a darling gal named Libby sat just across the aisle from me. She'd been blog stalking me via Kelsea's blog after she recognized our house from the pictures, and just had to say hi. I'm so glad she did, along with everyone else that day.
BUT, here's my dilemna:
We've been to church twice. Once for the full block, and once just for sacrament meeting. Why? This sweet gem of a very busy little man:
I love Jake. I love that he is happy and talkative and busy busy busy. It means he's learning and exploring. However, I do not love the wrestling match that is keeping that little guy occupied while contained for the 3 hours of church that just so happen to fall inbetween his naptimes.
Sister Beckett was just loving him as he bounced back and forth between us. She was also very reassuring that none of the women in there minded the babies, that they love them. I just can't let myself be "that" mom though. I don't want to let him just go like he wants to and become a distraction, even to the point of being a bit of a nuisance. It's great that he is at least happy loud, and not screaming mad, because that is far easier to listen to, but again, it's the wrestling match that is so hard. Yesterday we went through the whole arsenal I had in the diaper bag, and were still only 15 minutes in. Oi!
Even worse, it's very rare that Jason gets a Sunday off, so I am typically on my own for the duration.
So bloggers and moms, I beg of you, help me.
How do you contain and keep a very busy, not at all tired 10 month old happy and quiet for 3 hours, and still be able to listen to and enjoy the lessons and spirit?
Any and all suggestions welcome. I would really love to go and enjoy church every Sunday.

Oh Lace, I'm sorry. She sleeps during Sunday school and eats during Relief society but now that Maddi is getting loud it's usually during sacrament that she goes crazy. Have you tried snacks? I'm interested to see what works, because Maddi will be there before I know it. Good luck. What I've learned is most people don't mind, because they've been there with kids of their own, but I worry about being that mom too. When Maddi acts up I take her out because I don't want to worry about ruining anyone else's meeting. So I may just be stuck in the foyer listening to what I can. Good Luck.
ReplyDeleteWe have done snacks, toys, books, more snacks, sippee cup, walks in the foyer. The foyer is okay during sacrament, but the rest of the block I feel like what's the point in being there, ya know? Lately my thoughts have turned to "what's so wrong with being less active until he can go to nursery since I'm not there when I'm there anyhow?" Which sucks because I want to be all there.
ReplyDelete