Tuesday, March 29, 2011

OCD for the win!

This post is for all of you that have ever given me a hard time about over thinking, or over planning, or being slightly OCD. After the very rough night we had on Thursday, we decided it'd be a good idea to call the doctor and see if we could get something to make Jason's leg stop spasming. As you can imagine, the spasms hurt big time considering what his foot had just been through. We got a prescription called in for a muscle relaxer, then they asked if I needed a refill on the pain killers. At first I said no. After hanging up I got thinking about it and called Jason's mom and asked her how many we had left. I did some quick math, and there were enough to get us through until Sunday night sometime. Eek! That just wouldn't do. So I called back, and talked to the medical assistant again, told her what I'd figured out and she said she could get us another prescription to have filled. Here's where our troubles begin. It was 3:30 on Friday when I got this news. The prescription is for a narcotic. They can't call or fax in prescriptions for a narcotic. The doctors office is an hour away and closes at 5. I'm at work, and not going anywhere until 5. CRAP! So, after quite a few quick phone calls to Jason's mom, dad, and cousin who's husband works in Salt Lake, we think we think we have a solution. Stephanie, his cousin, would call her husband and he'll run over and grab it. No answer. Next thing you know it's 4:10 and Jason's dad is in his truck, very low on gas and phone battery, driving down to the U of U. It was intense. After the pain Jason had been in the night before, there was no way we were going to risk running out of the pain meds. Right up until 4:58 when he called me again, I sat at my desk praying and crossing my fingers he'd make it. I know that it was only by the grace of our sweet Heavenly Father that he made it. And for that I am grateful. Now for the slightly more funny part. Go back to our original solution, Mike was supposed to pick it up. So his name was on the envelope along with Jason's. The receptionist at the front desk almost refused to give it to his dad, until his dad says, "What are the odds that this would get left here at the last minute, and that with 3 minutes until 5 I come in, with the same last name, knowing it's here and ask for it?" Luckily she saw his reasoning and we were able to make it straight through the weekend pain free. Now for all you nay-sayers. Had I not overthought this and just assumed that the doctor gave us enough to get through.... well... imagine how you'd feel with only tylenol to kill that pain. Needless to say, Jason is very grateful for my overthinking these days, as am I.

No comments:

Post a Comment